Munnar – An Apt Destination to Rejuvenate in God’s Own Country
Kerala has been rightly given the tag ‘God’s own country’ as there is wide range of beautiful and enchanting locales, of which Munnar is certainly the finest one. It is a popular holiday-maker destination, situated at a height of around 600 feet and falls in the Idukki district of Kerala. The beauty of this lovely hill station lies in its lush green mountains, striking valleys, exotic wildlife sanctuaries, and spell binding waterfalls. To know Munnar better, you need to plan a Munnar travel trip and take a leisurely journey across this scenic town.
Best Places You Should Visit
It is a small yet exquisitely beautiful hill station located in the southern part of India. Out of the many tourist attractions in Munnar, the best ones are listed below:
- Echo Point – Echo Point is a must-visit attraction. In the midst of the remote hills, each sound that you make here echoes throughout the valley and this spot offers the best panoramic view.
- Eravikulam National Park – This place is famous for its endangered inhabitant called the ‘Nilgiri Tahr’, which is often found grazing here. Eravikulam National Park is the ideal place for trekking, enjoying a splendid view of the tea plantations, and the majestic hills.
- Mattupetty Dam – It is one of the best tourist attractions for its storage masonry dam and the fine-looking lake. Travellers can plan a half-day visit to the place to enjoy the scenic beauty and refresh themselves via boating.
- Attukal waterfalls – It is a must visit place to experience splendid natural beauty. Tourists can also enjoy hiking and trekking here.
Besides, there are plenty of tea, coffee and spice plantations that draw numerous tourists every day.
Best Things to Do During Your Trip
It is a beautiful place amidst high ranging mountains and valleys, covered across large stretches of tea estates and enriched in its strong essence of aromatic spices. Here, some of the best things to do on your travel Munnar expedition,
- The Art of Tea Making – Visit the century-old tea factories located in this city, wherein you can savour and pick up the finest tea in India. If all this interests you more than anything, you can also visit Tata Tea Museum to experience the procedure of tea-processing.
- The Top Station Viewpoint – Top Station is one of the highest points located on the Munnar-Kodaikanal road. It is home to the rare Neelakurunki flower that blooms every 12 years in the history of India.
- Trout Fishing – Tourists can also go for trout fishing amidst tea estates located in a pleasant hill station called Devikulam, quite near to Munnar.
The best months to visit this place are September to November and January to April.
How to Reach & Accommodation Options
To reach Munnar via air, one can take a flight to Cochin International airport which is 110 kilometres away from Munnar via road. The nearest railway station from Munnar is at Aluva. However, one can take state-run or private buses, plying from various places in Kerala and Tamil Nadu to reach Munnar. To move around the place, tourists can opt for taxis and buses or hire motorbikes.
As far as Munnar accommodation is concerned, there are a wide range of good hotels and lodging options available for tourists as per their budget and needs. However, all hotels offer elegant and well-furnished rooms equipped with all major facilities like attached bathroom, cable TV, etc.