Amazing discovery of South America – Machu Picchu
General Info on Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu is situated on the top of the Andes Mountains in Peru, South America. It’s a very well-known symbol of Inca culture, built with dry-stone walls, which are elegant. It is located over the Urubamba River and is the most popular hike point in South America, known as the Inca Trail.
Why visit Machu Picchu
This place in Peru is a very exciting and enchanting to enjoy your holiday. It is an important and an interesting archaeological place in the world. This place is mysterious as most of the people don’t have any idea regarding its discovery until 1911.The view is amazingly beautiful and can be explored from different angles. You can see the fog and the clouds mingle to reveal the citadel. It’s a unique combination of nature and man.
Best attractions and things to do
There are so many places to visit in Machu Picchu. Some of the main attractions are:-
1. Ruins– The ruins are open every day from sunrise to twilight. These are the main attraction of Machu Picchu.
2. Sun gate-Sun gate (Inti Punku) is an important construction, which is dedicated to the God of Sun as the Sun rises from this building in determined and particular times in the whole year. You can get the view of Sanctuary, The Machu Picchu,mountains and the River Urubamba.
3. Temple of the Sun and Temple of three windows– Next is the temple of the Sun, which is a must visit. It’s a semi-circle building on strong rocks. Temple of three windows is one of the most gorgeous places to visit, not only because how perfectly these structures are carved to perfection, but also because of the fact that this structure has lasted for so long and to add to it is so near to the main square.
4. Moon temple– Next spot is the Moon temple which is 6 m wide and whose height is 8 m. This temple served as a point of observation and is gorgeously carved caves, where one of the caves is the moon. Other ruins are Moray,Raqchi,Paucarcancha,Tipon and the Ruins of Intipata.
5. Huayna Picchu -You can visit them as well. You can witness the best vintage site known as HuaynaPicchu, one of the best climbing spots for trekkers. The hill is covered with many temples and terraces as well.
6.Inca Trail-The next attraction is Inca Trail a (knows as Camino Inka) is a beautiful combination of lush forest covered with clouds, majestic mountains and stones. This is one of the best places for hiking.
Best time to Travel Machu Picchu
Well to make your trip a lifetime experience, you can pick up a month in between April to October. Do avoid the crowd and dry weather to enjoy your trip.
Machu Picchu Hotels options
There are large numbers of lodge available here. They are Eco friendly and within your budget. If money is not a bar, you can go for well-appointed five star hotels as well. Most of these lodges are located in Aguas Calientes, which will take maximum 25 minutes by bus to reach Machu Picchu. Choose one to make it a comfortable trip.
How to reach Machu Picchu
You can reach the place, either by hiking the Inca Trail or bus and train combo via Aguas Calientes/Ollanatytambo. Book your train tickets in advance to travel without any hassle and enjoy your holiday in the lap of nature.