Cherrapunji – The Wettest Place on the Earth
As the summers are approaching, the buzz of tourists is being witnessed in different parts of India. During the months of summer, Cherrapunji in India lies amongst the top 20 summer destinations of India. This destination not only provides you relief from the scorching sun but also help in indulging with high above misty valleys and foaming rivers. It lies at a height of 4,500 feet in Meghalaya and it rains there year-round, which has made it earn a space in the Guinness Book of World Records as the wettest place on the earth.
Best Places to Visit
Are you planning a travel Cherrapunji expedition? If you are, you should definitely visit these places with your family or friends,
- Khoh Ramhah – The locals have derived the name “Khoh Ramhah,” which means “basket of the giant.” It forms as an ideal place for fantastic natural views and enjoying a picnic time.
- Living Root Bridges – Cherrapunji’s single-decker and double-decker root bridges are popular worldwide amongst tourists. The bridges are tangles of massive thick roots, which have been juggled up to form a bridge that can hold several people at a time.
- Mawsynram – Renowned as the wettest place on the Earth, the village of Mawsynram is a true nature lovers’ paradise. It is totally the best place to witness the refreshing fury of rains, which makes it a lush green land with picturesque waterfalls and awesome caves.
- Dainthlen Waterfall – It was one of the finest and most magical waterfalls of Cherrapunji, which has close resemblance to the great Niagara Falls. As it is soft waterfalls, so it does not make a roaring noise and attracts a large number of tourists.
- Eco Park – developed by Meghalaya government, the place offers views of varied orchids and Sykhet plains located in Bangladesh.
Cherrapunji – Best Things to Do
If you are on Cherrapunji travel vacation, you ought to visit these places to enjoy the best of your trip:
- Shopping and eating – visit Police Bazaar which is always full of tourists with different types of food stalls along with shops selling momos, chowmein, laaphin, etc. The market is popular for its locally produced honey, bamboo and wooden handicrafts.
- Bara Bazaar – A few miles away from Shillong, Bara Bazaar attracts many travellers because women run their shops and sell everything from gold jewellery to spices and textiles.
- Adventure caving – Cavers would love adventure caving at Krem Umshyrpi caves with awesome formations in Cherrapunji.
- Other activities – adventure enthusiasts may also enjoy angling, river canyoning, outdoor camping, bird watching and trekking as well.
How to Reach and Lodging Options
Cherrapunji lies in the state of Meghalaya that is well connected to different parts of the nation. Its capital Shillong has its own airport that caters to the needs of all types of tourists. One can also reach Cherrapunji via train through Guwahati. Many taxis and buses ply on this route and drop tourists to Cherrapunji from Shillong.
Now coming on the lodging scene for Cherrapunji accommodation, there are several comfortable private hotels that offer rooms at reasonable prices. However, if you are willing to find some amazing hotel deals, then click here.